Saturday, July 26, 2003

almost brain-dead numb
'been listening to John Mayer's "Any Given Thursday" album
everyday this week...over and over again.
I would say i've probably had the album playing for at least 30
hours total this week.
'can't help it. I love every single song he's written.
Plus, it helps me think and think and think about...stuff.

me and my bf also watched his "Any Given Thursday" DVD
with AND without commentary...yes, we watched it twice
in one week.

I really like the guy. super REAL for sure.
and the man is deep.
he's someone I think i could definitely have an
enlightening conversation with.

a day with the experts
so I spent my day today at an immigration law for paralegals
seminar.
besides helping me in my learning process with my
job as an immigration paralegal,
it gave me a chance to look at immigration more comprehensively.

as usual, the critical, social welfare/activist side of me came out in my thought process:
-how do I know that the folks we are helping get visas aren't potential "terrorists"?
-what should be our gauge for deciphering this? is it even possible to gauge this at our stage of the process?
-why is this government allowing work visas to be handed out to foreigners when there are MILLIONS
of Americans who are unemployed?
-why are there more limitations imparted on Mexican immigration v. Canadian immigration when
part of the U.S. should actually belong to Mexico? (but the U.S. re-negged on the agreement some 100 yrs ago)
- are immigration lawyers "just doing their jobs" for the mighty dollar, or are they putting some critical thought on
the eco-/socio-political implications of what they do?
- why are illegal immigrants scapegoated on when (hello?) the root of our immigration problems stem from instability in other countries
(where the U.S. has more than likely contributed to the instability in the first place)?
why not address those issues rather than blame the ones being victimized and adversely affected?

The one topic that I completed gravitated to was
Asylees and Refugees (or people seeking asylum in the U.S.
for fear of persecution in their home country).
Unfortunately, I haven't worked on these types of cases.
In fact, I'm not sure if we take those cases at all.
Nevertheless, it was something I was immediately drawn to.

Quite frankly, i would prefer to work on those types of cases
because it coincides with my passions and values.
Believe you me, helping someone get a work visa is nothing
compared to helping someone seek asylum.
then again, getting a work visa can be a step in escaping
socio-political persecution from one's home country, but
it's not always the case.

yet another affirmation
After that particular lecture, my place in this world was
once again confirmed.
It's amazing how powerful it is sometimes.
It's greater than instict.
I almost feel like Harry Potter has done a number on me.

But the eternal question still remains: specifically where
do I place these energies and passions? which social cause? which social service agency?
in what capacity?

I guess I have to do what i've been doing most of my life:
follow my heart.
and as cliche as it sounds, it's worked for me - unfortunately not in the
money department, but at the very least it makes me feel whole.
I feel totally and completely free to just be.

right now I'm just anxious,
cause I don't want what i have to go to waste.

harlem
'just finished watching the last episode of Fame that we taped.
I'm soooooooooooooooo happy that an Asian brother won it.
I was crying like an idiot when they announced his name as the winner,
and me and my bf "high-fived" like we were at a ball game - proud as hell.

However, I am a bit skeptical.
I just hope that his new manager, Johnny, will invest in him
as much as his competitor, Shannon, who was also invited to join the label.
I hope Johnny remembers the struggles of his "folks" (the African American community)
and honors the same struggles of Asian Americans to be fully accepted in
American society, particularly the music community.

I'm also not sure about the suggestion of Harlem's
image consultant to emphasize his cultural heritage as a way to "package" (I hate that word) him.
on one hand, i think it is extrememly important to showcase his background
because of the implications it has on the Asian American community.
But i think that it needs to be balanced with his talent - period.

Personally, I think it is more important that people see Harlem as a talented artist.
To me, it is more important that people understand that talent has no racial or ethnic boundaries.
In other words, I would hate Harlem to turn into some token Asian pop artist.
I hope those idiots don't fuck up his "image"...even though I don't believe in all
that B.S. in the first place.

on a lighter note
we're hanging out at another photo exhibit/photo seminar.
after all this hoopla with my bf getting into photography,
i think i've re-kindled my passion for art.
I LOVE paintings, too.

in fact, i shopped around on www.allposters.com
for some nice prints to hang up on my cave walls in the office.
here's some of my favorite artists:
* Matisse
* Picasso
* Mark Rothko
* Nell Whatmore
* Joseph Albers

and here's some of my favorite pieces:
1. "Solar" - Claire O'Hea
2. "Orange & Yellow" - Mark Rothko
3. "Whirl #6 Green on Bright Red" - Michael Banks
4. "Study for Homage to the Square" (in red) - Josef Albers
5. "Study for Homage to the Square - Conf" (orange) - Josef Albers

Gonna hit Reprint Mint in Berkeley to see if I can find some other
prints that I didn't see on all posters. wish me luck! :)

No comments: