Friday, January 31, 2003

back to the dark ages
I had a great first day of work today!
The woman who I will be replacing will be training me for
the next week. She's a cal alum, too!
She's very down-to-earth and super supportive and helpful.

my direct supervisor is pretty cool too.
she's definitely got some spunk...you can't mess with this woman.
but she's genuinely a nice person.

I didn't really get to interact much with the Executive Director or the rest of the staff.
They were going through an audit from one of our funding sources the entire day
(I hate those).

For the most part, i took it pretty slow today.
I was trained on the daily routine of my position.
I like this job because I performed the same duties as in my last job, but
with much less responsibility. I can deal with that.
As soon as I get used to my routine, I'd really like to focus on
projects that no one has had time to work on.
My main goal: to get all the computers networked and to get internet access for the whole office.

Although I really like the place, I feel like I'm back to square one
with the whole internet thing.
Apparently, they have been using a dial-up modem...one for 7 staff members to use!
And the sucky part is, the telephone line is located in my supervisor's office,
which isn't very accessible.
So, believe it or not, i DO NOT have internet access at work!
I'm really back in the non-profit world now. ;)

The other thing is, I'm going to start working my shift at the spa on Monday.
My work week will be full, but I will have Wednesdays off (in addition to the weekends).
By the way, please stop by if you are in the neighborhood (bev, gary).
Just e-mail me and I'll give you the location of our spa.
It's a pretty hip spot.
It's a full salon/day spa (massage, facials, body treatments) complete with an oxygen bar and
all the Bumble & Bumble hair care products you can think of.
We've got the top stylists in the city as well as the most talented massage therapists and bodyworkers anywhere.

While the image of the spa is very urban chic, we offer the most
grounded, nurturing and down-to-earth environment.
We've definitely created a very unique culture that is all about
balance and self empowerment.

Of course, the services are pricey, well, except our chair massages.
They are at market value ($1 per minute). (come visit us on your lunch hour to get one)
But you are more than welcome to just come in and check us out.
I'm really happy to be working at a place that isn't all about "the bottom line".
You'll see what I mean.

No comments: